Thursday 5 May 2016

Two camels and a gobby Gooner

A lot can happen here in a morning. And today it all started with Mick, who created a mirage in the kitchen. Rachel and I were quite certain that we could see a large expanse of water, a palm tree in the corner, and a couple of camels munching their way across the room. (Mick has not yet attained his advanced mopping badge). Judging by the state of the campsite, he had also been mopping there overnight. Rachel and I then went off to make beds, while Fiona was telling anyone who would listen (and even those who didn't) about the league of extraordinary gentlemen. Rachel started to ask me about my death, and what sort of thing I would like at my funeral. Having watched that wonderful film, 'What we did on our holidays', I told her that I'd quite fancy a Viking send off - and the attendees could toast marshmallows or roast chestnuts. As far as music goes - of course I'd want to start off with Lady in Red. Rachel then suggested that 'Sex on Fire' could be played once the flames had reached a certain area. It became clear why Rachel was asking me about all of this when she started to suffocate me with a pillow (perhaps she just threw one in the direction of my head - my memory gets a bit blurred sometimes). I count myself lucky to still be alive. I don't think I would be if Rachel's back wasn't still 'broken'. She said that trying to kill me probably hurt her more than it hurt me, but it was so much fun and she couldn't stop herself. No doubt she realised later on that her actions were unacceptable, and by way of apology she put an information booklet about Lyme's disease under my door. I have, on this occasion, decided to forgive her. 

I'm continuing to enjoy regular visits to the Woolpack - they make a mean coffee (and have free wifi so I can update this blog). The only downside is the slightly gobby Arsenal fan who works there - I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid him until after the season has finished. It's quite possible that he is louder than the entire home support at the Emirates (but that's not really saying much). Just goes to show - you can't have everything in life. (Honestly though. The pub is great). There are a number of exciting staff 'YHA Eskdale v The Woolpack' challenges in the pipeline, including glow in the dark pooh sticks at dusk, extreme croquet, potato sack football, and a valley wide treasure hunt! Tom is providing a trophy, but really, it's the bragging rights that everyone is after. 

There's a fair bit of cardboard going spare at the hostel, so I've decided to recycle some of it through alternative means. Last year I started a project where I would make postcards by painting on scrap bits of cardboard, write a message on the back, and then send them to random addresses in the UK. It is an exciting creative process, and a reminder (to me and to others) of the magical way in which we are all connected  in a world that can seem quite impersonal at times. I do love the internet. I think it's great. But there is the danger that all our sense of worth gets tied up in how many people like our Facebook status - and that nothing really has any meaning until it appears on the web. There is life, and a deep connection, that often lies forgotten in the physical realm where our physical bodies exist. Our emotions and our thoughts often take longer to process and understand than the instantaneous world of the internet allows.  I also thought it would be nice for whoever ended up receiving the postcards to get something other than bills and brown envelopes in the mail. 

1 comment:

  1. As usual, the ending is my favourite bit! LOVE! : "There is the danger that all our sense of worth gets tied up in how many people like our Facebook status - and that nothing really has any meaning until it appears on the web. There is life, and a deep connection, that often lies forgotten in the physical realm where our physical bodies exist. Our emotions and our thoughts often take longer to process and understand than the instantaneous world of the internet allows. I also thought it would be nice for whoever ended up receiving the postcards to get something other than bills and brown envelopes in the mail."

    ReplyDelete