Monday 5 September 2016

Why aren't there any navy blue cats?

I've been carrying a piece of paper around in my pocket for a few days now. All it has written on it is, 'Why aren't there any navy blue cats?' To be honest with you, I haven't actually made any attempt to find out - it's just a nice sort of a question to keep in mind, don't you think? There probably isn't much of an answer anyway, but I'm sure there's an academic somewhere who has studied for years just so they would be qualified to say 'well, there aren't any because there aren't any.' Which is pretty much as deep as you can get. I better remember to take the piece of paper out of my pocket when I put my clothes in the wash. 

It's a good day for drying laundry outside today. Not at all like yesterday. People were sat around inside playing scrabble, and when I asked one gentleman how he was, he replied, "I've got a soggy bottom." The distinction in weather aside, I'm having difficulty distinguishing between the days at the moment. There is so much going on that everything seems to blur into one. I do remember being in Whitehaven last Wednesday, though. Mostly because I purchased a ball launcher from Aldi (which was reduced & is absolutely brilliant), and because I had a conversation with a Whitehaven resident - a section of which went like this: 

"Where are you from?"
"Eskdale."
"Where's that?"
"About 45 minutes away, through Gosforth?" 
Blank expression. 
"Not too far from Wastwater and Scafell Pike?"
Blank expression. 
"In the Lake District National Park?" 
Blank expression . 
"Oh. Don't worry about it." 

I was beginning to wonder if I had dreamt it all, and was wondering more deeply still whether I would ever escape Morrison's - such was the wealth of end-of-the-day reduced products to peruse. I eventually opted for a 5p loaf of gluten free fruit bread for Fiona, but decided that I absolutely must ask for the money up front (or charge interest at a penny a day). I explained all this to her later (she gave me 6p the following morning), but she couldn't understand why they just didn't give them away free. "Well, Fiona. It's not a bargain if it's free, is it? And it would take away all the excitement." 

Mick and Rachel have gone away on holiday for a week. But their pre-departure was not without drama. Mick was desperately searching the kitchen for a roll of sellotape. "Oh why does it have to be so difficult to find? I know it's see-through but still...." I don't know if he ever actually found some. Rachel meanwhile was busy researching the lyrics to the Portland Bill theme tune, & threatening to body check anyone that went within two metres of the washing machine. The usual last minute holiday essentials. Rachel was really cheerful when she came to say goodbye....."We're only an hour and a half late leaving. That's a record for Mick. Once it was six hours before he was finally ready." 

1 comment:

  1. Your existence is never not strange. I adore it! LOVE! - Cheshire

    ReplyDelete