Thursday 10 May 2018

Health & Safety Officer v Hardknott Pass

I’ve been back in Eskdale a while now, almost a couple of months in fact. In many ways much is the same, but there’s also a natural difference, an evolution in the way we experience the world. I must admit that I found the first week or so quite difficult - struggled to get back into any kind of routine. Mick, Rachel, and Fiona all pretty much said the same sort of thing. It picked up pretty rapidly though, especially when we finally got around to naming the new dishwasher (John the Baptist). 

Every so often we get a visit from someone at Head Office, and April was the turn of the health and safety officer. Seemed like a nice guy, didn’t bat an eyelid when I walked into the office (thinking it was Mick in there) & called out ‘COO-EEE’ in rather dramatic style. Anyway. The morning he left us (to go to Langdale YHA) the weather was a bit iffy for driving, or at least had been fairly cold over night. Mick strongly advised not to go over Hardknott Pass as would likely be icy, lethal. However, either not believing Mick or for some other reason, that was the route he took. Initially anyway. Over an hour later he returned to us, having got stuck part on ice, part off the road, called the police but was soon helped back down by some passing folk. Mick called Langdale to let them know the health and safety officer would be late, & they informed us that they would have an incident/accident form ready for him to fill in.

The summer football league started again early April, although the pre-season mini tournament was cancelled due to waterlogged pitches. It would be my second season playing for Keswick FC Ladies - a really top group of lasses. Matches are played in the evening midweek, and I’ll often stay over in my van at Borrowdale afterwards. Great to have a change of scenery, and lovely to catch up with friends at the hostel there. Went out for a walk with Kate one sunny Thursday, to a favourite swim spot in Langstrath Beck. It was that kind of day which makes you almost giddy with excitement. “Oooofff. Suns out, bums out!” And when we passed a National Trust land-rover I commented that they might see more than they bargained for today. Kate snorted, & replied, “National Trust? More like National Bust!” As it turned out there were just a few too many people out and about to risk my usual sort of swim, so I went in with my undies on while Kate found somewhere to sit and eat her lunch. I must have been swimming for quite a while, as by the time I got out I found Kate curled up asleep on the grassy bank (hand half clawed around a flask of tea). 

A few weeks ago, in Eskdale, I was about to start my evening shift at work when (out of the blue) Charlotte, Helen, and Glen turned up to say hello! Apparently it had been some sort of last minute day off decision, but I’m not sure Glen had any say in the matter at all. From what I can gather, Charlotte and Helen turned up at Hawkshead YHA and bundled him into the back of the van. It was so lovely to see them all, introduced them to Mick and Fiona, and made them a cup of tea. They were very impressed by our catering kitchen, especially the oven/hobs. Charlotte was actually in awe...”that’s the cleanest thing I’ve ever seen!” Not just talking about cooking appliances here. I said that Rachel pretty much had everything to do with the immaculate state of it, but Mick then pitched in...”hee hee, it’s because we don’t actually do any cooking you see!” 

My friend David came down from Scotland to stay for a few days bringing with him Gill (the dog), and updates about the Highland Council’s atrocious plan to close many of the public toilets. He later sent me a copy of the Northern Times (The Raggy) which had a front cover story about the toilet protests, including how Smoo Cave had now been renamed Poo Cave. It was also good to find out who had served the tea at the most recent Ardgay village meeting. In contrast, I rather felt I was running the gauntlet going to Barrow for a football match - the police there are on the look out for a man who has been throwing table legs at cars (information source the Barrow Mail). We were fortunate to have a few days of largely dry and bright weather. I was able to show David one of the adders which had recently come out of hibernation. I was so excited the first day I saw them again. I think that they are incredible creatures, incredibly beautiful, incredibly fear inducing. It’s amazing to be able to see them in the wild, and while I do go out quietly looking for them, if it really came down to it I much prefer lambs or giant pandas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment