Thursday 1 December 2022

A note from South America

 

I’m still in Punta Arenas. There have been a few delays with the plane. All fixed now, and we are hoping to fly to Rothera this afternoon. It has been nice to have this time to explore - I’ve only ever had one full day here before. Yesterday, I went for a run along the front, and happened upon two King penguins taking a stroll on the beach! Not a common sight in Punta - they hang out elsewhere. Other wildlife sightings include a hare, a horse, and a parakeet. That was up in the Nature Reserve. I’ve enjoyed wandering through the town as well, I love the colours of the houses here, and seeing the dandelions amongst the sun-dried grass. It’s often very windy, but the sun has some warmth, and the long hours of daylight are delightful. 


We’ve moved hotels three times in the week that I’ve been here. Punta is obviously the place to be at this time of year. The last two nights I’ve been staying at a hostel in the Croatian Quarter of the town. It’s a lovely little place, and today they are putting up Christmas decorations in the lounge. There’s a gramophone in the corner, and a sign that reads ‘Save water. Drink beer’.  We are waiting for our lift to the airport. If this weather window holds, we will be in Antarctica by the end of the day - hopefully arriving on station in time for dinner! 

1 comment:

  1. Hello, super sorry to contact you this way. I live in Winchester, UK and I'm trying to write a talk for a framework on trust companies can use (https://trust-framework.com/). I was thinking that a cool story for the talk would be to send a letter to Antartica to show how there's a chain of trust throughout history that ends with us being able to send post internationally anywhere in the world. I saw your twitter feed and your inews article and thought I would attempt to reach out. I'm sure you are very busy, but would love to see if we can connect somehow. I would be happy to bribe you by sending a UK treat if that helps! :) All the best, -Todd Anderson todd@pr0j3c7t0dd.com

    p.s. I like the cool shirt you designed, anywhere I can get one of those? Does't look like the mind.org.uk folks have them for sale online.

    ReplyDelete