Monday 31 October 2016

The Last Supper (Club)

It was touch and go for a while as to whether I'd actually be able to write this end of season blog post. Rachel has been trying to create a bit of extra drama by killing off one of the main characters (me). I had suspected this for a few days, but it wasn't until she asked me to take the bins out at the dead of night (running the risk of being eaten alive by foxes or an army of field mice), that my suspicions were confirmed. I consider myself extremely lucky to have survived that particular ordeal, and thankfully (??) Rachel seems to have turned her attention to singing Power Ballads. 

Tom-Tom popped round on Friday evening to deliver the first ever edition of the Eskdale Beacon (local newspaper). I thought Evie was joking when she said my article would be called 'Kirsten's Column(s)', but no, apparently not! I haven't actually read that particular section - but the rest of the paper is very good indeed! I was particularly enthused by the horoscopes - according to the stars I'm going to start a new dance craze this week. 

I was assigned, more by accident than design, the last late shift of the season. I'd been going on about it for a while, about how I was going to have some sort of party (the nature of which would be determined by what actually happened that particular evening). Not in my wildest dreams though had I imagined that I'd get to play Tottenham Hotspur Top Trumps with some of the guests, nor that there'd be a group from Wales in fancy dress (including a man wearing a green fairy costume). To be honest though, by the time a guy from South Africa said to me (in all seriousness), "You must be from the Southern Hemisphere too, with an accent like that?" I was pretty tired and ready for bed. It already seemed a long time ago that, earlier in the evening, we had served the Last Supper (club) of the season, and Rachel had asked us to pick a Jesus. When I told her that that was a bit mean, she changed her mind and said, "OK. Pick your favourite cheeses." 

It was slightly strange saying goodbye to all the guests on Sunday morning, knowing that once they had left there would be an empty building (to clean). Before that had happened though, we sat in the dinning room having our breakfast break whilst discussing forehead size and optimal hairband positioning. This was briefly 'interrupted' when a young lad from one of the families we had staying walked up to the table and asked me for my autograph. He was a Spurs fan, and I'd been chatting to them all the previous evening and mentioned that I'd played for the Spurs Ladies team for a season. I did warn him never to bother trying to sell it on eBay! It was such a lovely moment, though. One of many that have happened over this past 7 months. However, the mad times weren't quite yet at an end (I doubt they ever will). We made a start on making beds, and I asked Fiona if she would treat us to a brief history of her CD player ownership? What was described is quite unrepeatable, but it left us doubled up in laughter (to the extent that Rachel declared that she'd achieved a temporary six pack). Then we put on Dolly Parton, and finished the cleaning.  

 
Postscript 

Whatever happens (because we simply don't know from one day to the next), Eskdale will always hold a most special place in my heart. I would think it near impossible for anyone to visit here and not feel that way. Whether it be for a single day, or to be fortunate enough to live here for a spell, to feel a love at first sight, and for that love to then change and deepen. I no longer feel the separation of time like I once did, nor do I feel the separation of my thoughts nor of my person. My existence is not divided - there is at last a sense of completeness to life. It has been an extraordinary coming together of people and place. 

I would like to thank each and every person who has been reading this blog, thanks for sharing, and thanks to Tom-Tom who allegedly tells everyone who walks into the Woolpack about it! I hope you have enjoyed reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Thank you also to the YHA, without whom none of this would have been possible. Hand on heart this is the best job I've ever had. 

Thank you most especially of all to Mick, Rachel, and Fiona. I'm not sure you knew what you were letting yourselves in for when I asked if it was ok to write about you all in my blog! It has been an honour and a privilege - it is not often that a person gets to share so much wonderful truth (with a hint of what Rachel might describe as 'LIES'). It has been an incredible 7 months - WE SMASHED IT. I love you all (but not as much as I love Chris de Burgh. Obvs).

COOOEEEE-VOIR!!!  

2 comments:

  1. This journal entry just made my soul sick. I have felt what you are feeling . . . And also, you shared this on the day I published my second book . . . and now I will always think back on this entry whenever the year(s)-after anniversaries of its publication arrive. Change. Life is ALL ABOUT change . . . and, for the most part, I hate it with all of my heart. But this post, even though I am sure you do not read my comments here, melted me into the floorboards. Because I am in a similar state of howling change, and reading this - especially the postscript - has given this night an even heavier weight. I love and miss you so much! And I have LOVED reading your journallings! I forever love your writings . . . via ANY medium. LOVE!! - Cheshire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tales kept me entertained for months xx

    ReplyDelete