Wednesday 29 June 2016

A cheese & pickle sandwich, and five foam bananas

The past week or so seems a little hazy. There are many things I could attribute this to, but top of the list is my fever riddled brain. Rachel and I regularly exchange half arsed high fives for being part of the 'sick squad'. My main food source has become Lemsip, while Rachel has taken to necking an entire packet of Fab ice lollies in one go. It all started when Mick went outside to play with some big rocks. One of these boulders almost took his finger off - Rachel and I both looked at it and were nearly sick. (I'm not quite sure that's how people contract an illness - but it makes sense in my present state). 

Much has happened before and after that (or in a completely different order), and I'll do my best to recall these events now. On one of my evenings off, I went over to camp the night at YHA Windermere. It was lovely to see my friend Harry who works there - the first and last time we'd met was back in March at the recruitment weekend. The hostel at Windermere has a TV, and I watched Germany v Northern Ireland with three guys from Spain, & two girls from Japan (currently living in Poland). I actually missed most of the first half as I was helping an Australian family plan their road trip around Scotland. I recommended more of the west coast, and less time in Aberdeen and Dundee. Not long after I had arrived I got chatting to a girl who was obviously completely new to the whole camping/Hostelling thing. She plied me quite a few questions, before asking, "so, what do you do at night?" I happened to glance over at her boyfriend at this point, and saw him looking part exasperated, part hopeful. 

It was good to have a night away, but it was even better getting back. Coming over Wrynose & Hardknott pass I was greeted by a great wave of happiness. I was so excited to see Mick and Rachel again (who happened to be outside as I drove in), even if they did speak to me with their backs turned because I'd visited another hostel. I wasn't quite so enamoured with the whole Eskdale scene though when Tom-Tom came round armed with a pen, and chose to stand perilously close to my football wall chart. He has resorted to extreme measures to get back in the blog, he even asked if doing this would give him a mention (as he proceeded to push me off a chair in the Woolpack).

As well as our newfound addiction to Lemsip and Fab ice lollies, Rachel and I have taken to making outrageous bets. We had had one packed lunch ordered, and only one pre-prepared sandwich left. She wagered five foam bananas that I wouldn't be able to convince the guest that he wanted a cheese and pickle sandwich (instead of ham, tuna mayo, egg mayo, etc.). When I went back to my room later on that day, my pockets were stuffed full of sweets. How I managed to pull it off shall remain firmly between myself and Mr Smith (bland fictional name). 

No comments:

Post a Comment