Monday 13 June 2016

Intermediate entomology, & the Boot Beer Festival

It has been funny old time with Mick and Rachel being away. A man in a stripy jacket accidentally set fire to the rubbish bin, and a woman told me to go to Singapore because I wouldn't get my handbag stolen there (I haven't had my handbag stolen. I don't even own one). I then walked in on someone having a wee, because, "Oh! Sorry. I forgot to lock the door." It seems that the silly season is well and truly here, or perhaps it's just the 'Boot Beer Festival effect'. There was all sorts going on down at the Woolpack, including tractor pulling, live music, and welly throwing. I went along the day before it all kicked off, and although madly busy, Harry still took the time to have a chat and buy up three teams in the charity sweepstake (thanks again). 
 
I must admit that for a couple of days I felt a little lost and at times despondent without Mick and Rachel around, especially when Fiona was on her days off.  To me it seems that the four of us have developed such an atmosphere of seamless madness, an unspoken understanding of how we move, live, and work, that the sudden disruption of this affected me profoundly. It was almost peculiar to me, this sensation of 'being in my head'. It is something I have experienced so often in the past, but hardly at all in the last six-eighteen months. The difference is now that I'm much more aware of it, and generally much better at coping with the odd dark moment. Talking about it helps (thanks Fiona & mum), as does writing about it (thanks to you all). It passed (or I passed it off) fairly quickly, and it was actually a pleasant reminder of these happy present times and the wonderful folk I have the privilege to call work colleagues, friends, neighbours, and family. But I won't get too soppy and sentimental - I know Rachel copes better with scandal and outrage. Speaking of which.....

I'm really getting into Euro 2016. I organised the sweepstake, and Mick got a wall chart for me, which I've neatly stuck up on the kitchen door. I was so excited about being able to fill in all the scores, that I was telling everyone about it (or so I thought). I hurried down to the kitchen one afternoon, only to find that Rob had already penned in the score for the Albania Switzerland game. It's possible that I might have slightly overreacted to this discovery, walking round the room with my head in my hands repeatedly saying, "I can't believe it!" I accused Rob of doing this deliberately because he knew how much I was looking forward to it. But it transpired that I hadn't had that particular conversation with him, or indeed anyone! It's a bit of a worry sometimes. But I still can't believe he did it. I turned my attention instead to a spot of intermediate entomology. I pinned a dead spider (a discarded tomato stalk) to a piece of paper, labelled and dated it, then attached it to the wall. 
 
Rachel and Mick returned from Scotland a day or so later, and judging by the gifts they gave us they had spent their entire time raiding the Tunnocks factory. Fantastic. Mick won one of the prizes in our charity sweepstake - first team to have a player sent off. We had an official prize giving ceremony in the kitchen, Rachel sang the Albanian national anthem (or something vaguely similar) with Rob and Fiona on backing vocals (squarks) while I presented Mick with a £5 note for violent conduct. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always a lovely thing to read your journallings! - Cheshire

    ReplyDelete