Tuesday 24 January 2017

Eskdale adventures, & a C de B tribute video

The working week finished for me on Friday at 4pm. It was one of those cold, clear, impossibly fresh Lake District evenings, so I took straight off up Castle Crag to watch the sunset. From the front door of YHA Borrowdale it’s only a short run/walk to the top, and although it’s not of any significant height (in Lake District terms) it affords the most incredible views. Castle Crag is usually a popular spot, but on this occasion I watched the sky change through every muted shade of pink, yellow, and orange in contemplative solitude. Not a day goes by without appreciating what an unspeakably beautiful place this is to live, work, and simply be. I ran back to the hostel as the stars began to appear, and couldn’t have been happier to find Hanna making a large batch of pancakes for everyone! 
I headed over to Eskdale on Saturday to visit Mick and Rachel for the weekend, and to go for a trail run with Harry (owner of the Woolpack). This run had been planned a week ago, and although I was slightly concerned that Harry would be way too fast for my ambling pace, the promise of finding the best pools in the upper Esk valley for a swim was too tempting to pass up.  I needn’t have been worried, though. Harry quite happily and graciously put up with my general slowness, and it turned out to be quite some adventure/explore. Harry had the tendency to say, “let’s go this way!” on a regular basis, the result of which was often sinking below ankle deep into boggy ground, and crossing rivers up to the knees. I suspect that I enjoyed this part more than Harry though, especially considering that when the right location presented itself I would be going for a full blown swim! Harry was not in the least bit tempted by this, but he did kindly run on so that I could strip off and have a skinny dip! It was a truly magical afternoon with a huge expanse of blue sky over the Scafell range, and the promise of watching Mick & Rachel’s dog eating spaghetti later on hung in the air! Mick proudly showed me his article in Cumbria Life magazine, and said, “It’s funny really, because no one can tell from looking at the photo that my trousers were nearly falling down!” He was absolutely right – I hadn’t the slightest idea. The weather was not as favourable on Sunday, low cloud and grey, but I hit the trails once again. Although I ran in the same place, it was a very different experience this time around. That’s always the case with everything; different thoughts, different conditions, we are never the same person as we were yesterday. However minutely, life is constantly changing yet at the same time being maintained. I very much enjoyed running with Harry, but a solo run presented a greater freedom when it came to skinny dipping! I went in twice this time, and probably because of the weather, I never saw another soul all afternoon. I headed back to Borrowdale Sunday evening, but not before witnessing Rachel trying to surf/roll down the corridor on a cricket stump (found behind the fridge). 
Monday was the start of volunteers week at YHA Honister - & I was 'entrusted' with overseeing the various painting and cleaning tasks up the hill. It was good to spend some time at another hostel, & with a really great team of volunteers. Things started to get a little strange though when I headed down the road. It began when Chris was showing me his newly rearranged office, and let it slip that he was only about two steps away from getting a cobra in a tank. To be honest though, I think he probably has some way to go before he descends to that kind of ultra high powered managerial mentality - he currently has a lava lamp on his desk, & he managed to put one of the hostel awards the wrong way round. But, as long as you don't examine too closely, he is definitely able to pull of the "That guy knows what he's doing!" look which he currently striving for. 

Back in the staff house Tref kindly put some Chris de Burgh videos on his iPad for me to watch & listen to while his was cooking his dinner. He emerged from the kitchen area a little while later, and looking at his plate I asked, "Are you eating a whole chicken, Tref?" He glanced at both Bianca (recently promoted to Catering manager) and myself before replying...."erm no, it's an omelette!" I thought it was quite an easy mistake to make, but I'm not sure I'll be let in the hostel kitchen unaccompanied ever again. We swiftly turned our attention to planning Tref's first music video as a Chris de Burgh tribute act. Tref already had a grand vision in his mind - 'we can film Don't Pay the Ferryman down on Derwent Water!' It's brilliant. Pure genius. I'm just not really sure how well it will go down with the owner of the Keswick Launch when we inform him that we won't be paying him until he gets us to the other side. 

1 comment:

  1. I do like the sound of Rachel (whatever sound that is). Anyone who sees such potential in a shy and solitary cricket stump should be listened to. We need more sundry sporting equipment enticed from their hiding places and put to alternative sporting use.

    ReplyDelete