Saturday 21 January 2017

Time sensitive triangles, & a return to the Lakes

A week ago now, my last day up in Aviemore was not uneventful. The snow was even deeper, & my cousin's next door neighbours kindly offered me a lift up to Glenmore as they were headed that way for some family sledging. It was a bit of a squeeze getting five of us in their small car, though (as well as the two baby/child seats). But we managed, and headed up the road with Baa Baa Black Sheep (& other nursery rhymes) on full blast so as to keep the kids happy, & drown out the sound of the broken exhaust. They let me out by the side of the Loch, & (still wearing shorts) I began my run cross country back to Aviemore. My route took me up to Rothiemurchus Lodge, by which time the snow was at least knee deep in places. This made running pretty tough going, and the few people I did see either looked at me slightly impressed or as if I was some sort of escapee. The sun was shining, with large patches of blue sky, and it was one of those days which made me feel so utterly alive and filled with joy.  

I drove back to Borrowdale the following morning - a journey that was not so much measured in time, but by how many times I could listen to Chris de Burgh's latest album (just over 6). The staff house was fairly quiet when I returned, with several people being away on holiday and that sort of thing. But I did see Bianca almost immediately, and we stood outside admiring the recently created garden paths, and watched a Robin hop about on a branch. I told Bianca that Robins are my favourite type of bird, apart from Toucans..."but I don't think we get those here." Hanna also appeared a little later on, and the conversation went almost exactly like this: 

"Hey, Kirsten! Do you want some pizza bases? There's loads in the freezer which need eating....that's what I'm having for my tea." 

"Just that?"

"I've also got loads of tomato sauce paste, it has been open for a while, but I think it smells ok. I can't really tell though....I've got a cold. Oh...and I have all these mushrooms, a few have gone mouldy but the rest will be fine....do you want me to make you a pizza?" 

"Thanks, but I think I'm ok." 

I was happy to find that everything was as normal at YHA Borrowdale. And...speaking of all things YHA, Chris informed me one afternoon that he'd love a knitted jumper with a big YHA logo on the front. "You know, with the oldest type of YHA triangle?" 
"I didn't realise that triangles were time sensitive?"
"Well, when you put it like that...I suppose any three sided shape would do." 

Chris, if it's possible, seems to be excelling himself when it comes to slightly off the wall ideas. First there was the 'sticky table test', which involved pitting a varnished table against a sanded table, placing various items on top & seeing which the mugs stuck to more. That was all very well until Bianca wandered in, and asked why the heck there were napkins, teapots, and mugs of hot water strewn over two dining room tables. "Don't move them.....the competition still has ten minutes to go!" 
That was nothing though compared to his plan to revolutionise staff training at YHA Borrowdale. How I allowed myself to be talked into doing a spot of 'acting' for these inspirational videos, I'm not entirely sure! But one thing is for certain - Chris had a lot of editing to do in order to put together a minute of footage in which I wasn't laughing. Despite that, I am fully expecting an Oscar nomination, and a legacy of countless generations of motivated and well informed YHA team members. 

I spoke to Mick and Rachel at Eskdale during the week - a well timed phone call as it turned out, as it meant I was able to listen to Rachel eating Cornflakes. After a few moments of that though, she put Mick on the phone. He was telling me how he has a double page spread in the next issue of Cumbria Life magazine (modelling men's lingerie topless). Rachel was later able to inform me that this wasn't entirely accurate - it was actually about his art work! There was also something in the conversation about a JCB digger accidentally cutting power to the valley, and a strange request for Mick to obtain a sheep to be slaughtered (definitely not granted).  

The highlight of the week though, apart from an invigorating nighttime skinny dip in Blackmoss Pot, was when Tref sang not one, but two Chris de Burgh songs to me whilst sat behind Reception. It may actually have been one of the ten greatest moments of my life, and there is no doubt that Tref has an exciting future as a C de B tribute act (should he want it). It's good to be back. 

2 comments:

  1. Does seedy B have more than one song? Rx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a dangerous question to ask! I'll play you the lot when I'm back - might keep us going all season! Ki-Ki x

      Delete