Thursday 4 August 2016

5p carrier bags & purple sweet potatoes

My priorities have changed somewhat over the years, but I reckon that they are pretty much spot on at the moment. The first thing I told Rachel one afternoon was that I thought I had a peanut in my left Wellington boot. She looked at me, and replied, "Well I've got an apron full of apples." Sometimes there's just no point in trying to compete. Later on that evening, she took a few moments to explain her retirement plans to me. "It's quite simple really, K. I'm going to sell all the 5p carrier bags that I collected when they were free." It was one of those moments in life when you realise that you're in the presence of true genius. I guess I'd feel exactly the same if I were sitting down to a cup of tea with Plato, Einstein, and Chris de Burgh.  

Speaking of fantasy.....I've set up an Eskdale Valley fantasy football league. There's only me and some chap who goes by the name of 'Divock the Casbah' in it at the moment. I guess that means I'm guaranteed a Champions League spot next season, but it would be more entertaining if there were a few more entries! You can join in at https://fantasy.premierleague.com and the league code is 691457-191212. I tried to educate Fiona about the whole fantasy football thing, but after 5 minutes of trying to explain why she couldn't have an actual giraffe in goal, I gave up. 

It's my way of making time slow down - taking a drive south on the M6. An impromptu decision to go and spend a few hours with my mum and brother. Seems a bit crazy I know, but there will come a point when we'd do anything for even just a few moments more with the people we love the most. I also saw my step-dad. I walked in the door, and he told me straight away (without any preamble) that it was going to be unusually windy tomorrow. That was actually all he said, until he got on to the topic of purple sweet potatoes. Apparently, the Chinese eat loads of them, and that's why they all live to be 100. He offered me some, but I told him that I really didn't fancy living quite that long (and wandered off with a dirty big mug of tea).   


The following day I braved the apocalyptic weather that Brian had predicted - and sure enough there was a breeze strong enough to blow a discarded Dr Pepper can a few centimetres along the pavement. A hasty last minute arrangement saw me walking around Tatton Park with a friend I'd made when he came to stay at the hostel in June. It turns out that two of my uncles went to the primary school in Stockport that he now works at. I don't think the world is really that small at all, but it is incredible the people we meet - and just goes to show how connected we all are. 

1 comment:

  1. Looking at the date of this entry, it would seem that you randomly went to see your mother and brother on nearly the exact same day (maybe even, since still I cannot recall when it was exactly) when I came to stay with you there (a year ago)!! That just made me smile so, so much! LOVE! - Cheshire

    ReplyDelete