Wednesday 31 August 2016

Bank Holiday Madness (& something about a C de B concert)

I had a vague dream in which I fell asleep next to the dishwasher, and woke in the morning with a bit of mashed potato in my hair. The only explanation I can give for this semi-conscious thought process is the delights of having worked a busy bank holiday weekend. It's strange how little I can actually remember about it though, other than an outcry at the extortionate number of cheese and onion sandwiches in the world, and Rachel and I deciding that we are going to invest in a £20 remote control ball launcher from Aldi (because everyone likes to bat). Apart from those two things, the rest of the weekend passed in a blur (utter work related focus).

The next thing I knew, I was out in the back yard with Rachel cleaning her van (or rather keeping her company while she cleaned her van, and saying every now and then that I'll leave mine for another day - I'm trying to make it less white, you understand). I wandered over to where Mick was creating some artwork out of wood. I asked him if it was an eagle, to which Rachel half shouted out, "Is Mick doing something illegal again?!" 

To be honest with you, I was a bit fidgety all that afternoon and evening - full of nervous excitement. I had learned earlier on that Chris de Burgh tickets (for a UK tour) were to go on sale at 9am the following morning. I was concerned because I knew that I wouldn't be able to get on the internet until at least 9.30am, and there was (in my mind) the very great danger that the Liverpool concert would be sold out in minutes. But it was needless worry. By 10am I had managed to book two seats (for me & mum), only six (SIX) rows from the stage! Oooooofffff bloody love it. 

Mick wandered into the office...."Hiya, K! I've got a really itchy ear. Luckily I had this little matchstick in my pocket." That was really lucky, I thought. This might be a great time to ask about booking holiday to go to the concert next April. Mick told me that it would be fine, I think he understood that it's not an opportunity that comes around all the time - the chance to listen to the love of your life sing to you (and a concert hall full of pensioners). There was in all this the assumption that they will still have me back next season - but as no objections were raised, I guess it's all good! Bloody brilliant, in fact! I'll have to set about trying to find bits of work over the winter, but I'm pretty sure there's always going to be a toilet somewhere that needs cleaning. 

PS: Warning to the Woolpack! We might rock up one afternoon & challenge you to a game of American rounders. We have fewer staff so Wooly & Moss are on our team. 

1 comment: